Last week, IP Draughts was on holiday, steering a canal boat through the Midlands of England. As holidays are meant to do, it has prompted him to think about his professional life and what he wants to do next.
This blog has been running for seven and a half years. It contains over 600 articles, which together have been viewed over 700,000 times. This is, presumably, in addition to the viewings of emails of the blog’s articles, which are received by over 1,000 subscribers. Over 90% of the articles on the blog were written by IP Draughts. Typically, an article takes him about 3 hours to write. In total, there has been an investment of about 2,000 hours’ work in the blog. This is minor compared with the time invested in our books, articles and training courses, but it still adds up.
IP Draughts has not received a penny of revenue directly from writing the blog. He hopes that there have been some indirect professional benefits, in the form of additional client work or bookings on his courses, but these are difficult to quantify.
Readers, your views are invited as to what IP Draughts should do with this blog. Should he:
- Make no change, and continue writing articles as before.
- Decide that most of the topics relevant to the blog have been covered, and only add new articles when something major happens.
- Introduce new types of articles / new writers, and if so what and whom.
- Introduce WordPress adverts and make a small revenue from them.
- Convert the blog into a subscription service, and if so what would be a reasonable charge.
- Combine some of the articles into a book in time for the Christmas list.
Your views would be welcomed, including on any ideas you may have that are not listed above. Please feel free to post comments on this blog or email me separately at firstname.lastname@example.org